FAQs | Crave Candles Co®
HOW DO I PROPERLY CARE FOR MY CANDLE?
Make sure to trim your wick!
The first thing you want to do is make sure your wick is the proper length. We recommend using a wick trimmer since it creates a nice clean cut that maintains the integrity of the wick. You want your wick to be about ¼” in length before burning. You will want to trim the wick to this size for every subsequent burn. We recommend only trimming wicks on cooled candles, to prevent debris from falling into hot wax.
Your first burn is crucial!
It’s crucial that your candle burns completely liquid across the surface EVERY time you burn it. The time it takes for the candle to become completely liquid depends on the wax, fragrance, surface it’s on, and the temperature of the room it’s in. Typically this is between 2 to 4 hours. Burning a candle is meant to be a nice experience, so make sure you can settle in with it for at least as long as it takes to burn across the surface.
Candle Burning Don'ts
- Don’t leave unattended
- Don’t play with the wax or try to move the wax around the jar. This will make the wax uneven and promote uneven burning.
- Don’t burn for more than 4 hours. Your wick can “mushroom” and create a large and unstable flame.
- Don’t forget to trim that wick! Untrimmed wicks lead to popping, smoking, and soot. This is how candles end up looking dirty and full of debris.
- Don’t burn in a small unventilated room.
- Don’t fall asleep with your candle burning.